General Description of the Governing Board
The Board consists of at least three and not more than nine members, of which a minimum of three will be parents of students enrolled in the school, and no more than two will be community members without children enrolled in the school. Board members serve for two-year periods and terms are staggered to provide for continuity.
The Board generally meets on the first Wednesday of the month. The Board meets at Tierra Pacifica’s main site during the school year, and less frequently during the summer months. (During COVID meetings are held virtually via Zoom.) There are occasional special and emergency meetings to address specific concerns or issues. Meetings are generally lively and good-humored despite the serious nature of the discussions and tasks involved.
If you are interested in serving as a Tierra Pacifica Board Member, please talk to any of our current members. The job requires an understanding of the school’s mission, good communication skills, and a willingness to regularly attend meetings and engage in complex discussions and decision-making. Additional areas of expertise that would benefit the school are: education; business and finance; organization/administration; volunteer coordination; and fundraising.
Collective Roles and Responsibilities of the Governing Board
- Uphold and revise the school charter.
- Adopt, amend and implement board by-laws, internal board policies and procedures consistent with charter.
- Adopt and amend school-wide policies and procedures.
- Ensure adequate resources for school programs.
- Oversee the fiscal management of the school.
- Secure and maintain school site.
- Hire, support, supervise and evaluate school director.
- Approve hiring of school faculty and staff.
- Oversee school parent participation structure.
- Evaluate effectiveness of school programs.
- Act as an avenue of communication for school community (parents, staff, students).
- Represent the school in the larger community.
- Maintain standing board committees.
Offices of the Board
President (Alex Yasbek)
The President of the Board establishes the agenda for and presides over all meetings of the Board. He/she oversees the implementation of the Charter and the Bylaws, and signs all letters, reports and other communications of the Board.
Vice President (Jasper Billings)
The Vice President serves as the President if the President is unavailable.
Treasurer (Ricardo Espinoza – Interim)
The Treasurer provides oversight of the financial record-keeping of the school staff, provides strategic-level reporting on the financial status of the school to the Board, and reviews and approves financial audits conducted by independent auditors.
Secretary (Melanie Huff – interim)The Secretary keeps a book of agenda and minutes of all meetings, correspondence to and from the Board, policies, proceedings and actions of the Board and of committees of the Board; keeps a copy of the Articles of Incorporation and Bylaws; and keeps the Board aware of Bylaws, Brown Act rules, and proper procedure.
Other Board Members:
Desiree Hunt, Delaney Morss, Pete Novembre, Tatiana Miller, Siena Shaw